Does the U.S. Military Need a Space Force?
Vote to see how others feel about this issue
What’s the story?
- Vice President Mike Pence announced on Thursday that “establishing the Space Force is an idea whose time has come."
- Also known as the “Space Corps,” this branch would be tasked with protecting America, and American assets, from threats occurring beyond Earth’s atmosphere.
- Speaking alongside Defense Secretary James Mattis at the Pentagon, Pence said the Defense Department has begun the process of creating the Space Force as the sixth branch of the armed forces by 2020.
"As President Trump has said, in his words, it is not enough to merely have an American presence in space—we must have American dominance in space. And so we will," Pence said. "Space is, in his words, a war-fighting domain just like land and air and sea."
- Pence added, "History proves that peace only comes through strength, and in the realm of outer space, the United States Space Force will be that strength in the years ahead."
- The Defense Department released a 15-page report outlining the phases of creating the new branch. The report said the Pentagon plans to "usher in a new age of space technology" in order "to deter and if necessary degrade, deny, disrupt, destroy, and manipulate adversary capabilities to protect U.S. interests, assets, and way of life."
What do you think?
Congress would have to approve the creation of a new military branch.
Do you think the U.S. should establish a Space Force within the military? Should the Pentagon consider commercial space options instead? Does America need a military presence in space? Hit the Take Action button and tell your Reps.
(Photo Credit: fredmantel / iStock)
Dairy Milk Consumption is at a Historic LowWhat's the story? A Food & Drug Administration (FDA) proposal will allow products made out of dairy alternatives to continue read more... Environment
Ban on Importing Trophy Animals to UK to Become LawWhat's the story? The British government has backed legislation to prevent trophy hunters from importing or bringing back body read more... Environment
Gov. DeSantis To Expand Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ BillWhat’s the story? Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) is moving towards expanding the controversial law known as the “Don’t Say Gay Bill” read more... Civil Rights
IT: Anti-semitic incidents hit record highs in 2022, and... Should Trump be arrested?Welcome to Friday, March 24, pastels and watercolors... What happened with Trump's rumored arrest this week? NYC prosecutors read more...