Farm Bill Could Undo Part of Obamacare
Join us and tell your reps how you feel!
What’s the story?
- Deep within the House version of the massive farm bill is a provision to provide farmers with cheaper – and less comprehensive – health insurance plans than those currently offered through the Affordable Care Act.
How would the plans work?
- Associations of ranchers and farmers would be able to obtain grants or loans from the Department of Agriculture to establish agricultural-related policies modeled after association health plans (AHPs).
- The House bill would allocate $65 million over four years for these programs.
What are critics saying?
- Unlike Obamacare policies, association – or “cooperative” – plans aren’t required to cover pre-existing conditions and "essential health benefits" such as maternity care, mental health care, or addiction treatment.
- The National Association of Insurance Commissioners has warned that AHPs "threaten the stability of the small group market" and "provide inadequate benefits and insufficient protection to consumers."
- This led Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) to remark, at a Senate Finance hearing on co-ops in January 2016, that:
“Hundreds of thousands of Americans have lost or will lose their health insurance, and taxpayers are still on the hook. In some ways, the co-ops were doomed to fail from the outset…they were limited to less profitable markets, had no historical claims data and no brand recognition or trust.”
What are supporters saying?
- Rob Robertson, chief administrator for the Nebraska Farm Bureau Federation, whose group is considering sponsoring an AHP, told NPR that half of his members have significant others working non-farm jobs just to obtain health insurance. And some members who do buy their own insurance are looking for relief from their massive premiums.
"We think it’s a good idea," Robertson said. "I can't think of any sector that is affected more by the huge premium increases under Obamacare than farmers and ranchers.”
What do you think?
Do you support the farm bill and the AHP provision? Hit Take Action and tell your reps, then share your thoughts below.
(Photo Credit: Zoran Zeremski / iStock)
IT: 📚 Connecticut adds climate change to the curriculum, and... Which voting rights non-profit should our swag proceeds go to?Welcome to Monday, October 3rd, butterflies and hummingbirds... A new Connecticut law requires state public schools to include
New Connecticut Law Requires State Schools to Teach Climate ChangeWhat’s the story? A new Connecticut law requires state public schools to include climate change in their curriculum. The Next Environment
Should All New Cars Include Alcohol Detection Systems?What’s the Story? The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is calling for alcohol detection systems to be included in all Crime
IT: Updates on Hurricane Ian and the Oakland school shooting, and... Demand your reps take action on election reform.Welcome to Friday, September 30th, readers... Ian, now a tropical storm , stands as one of the top ten strongest storms in U.S.