Plastic Pollution Coalition is a global alliance of people, organizations and businesses working towards a world free of plastic pollution and its toxic impacts. These are the reasons why.
(1) Plastic creates toxic pollution at every stage of its existence: manufacture, use, and disposal. There is a carbon footprint of the plastic that we use and the plastic that we discard.
(2) Plastic is a material that the Earth cannot digest. Every bit of plastic that has ever been created still exists, including the small amount that has been incinerated and has become toxic particulate matter.
(3) In the environment, plastic breaks down into small particles that attract toxic chemicals. These particles are ingested by wildlife on land and in the ocean, contaminating the food chain.
(4) Plastic affects human health. Harmful chemicals leached by plastic packaging and plastic products are present in the bloodstream and tissues of almost every one of us, including newborns.
(6) Disposable plastics are the main source of plastic pollution on land and in the ocean.
Consumption of disposable plastics—bags, bottles, straws and so forth—has spiraled out of control. These items are used for seconds, hours or days, but their remains last forever.
(7) Plastic recycling is not a solution to the crisis.
Most of our plastic waste is land-filled, down-cycled, incinerated or exported to other countries. Recycling of plastic is costly and does not stem the production of virgin plastic product.
The amount of plastic pollution in the ocean is expanding at a catastrophic rate, but there are similar concentrations of plastic in the desert, in every community around the world, in our homes and in us.
To find out more about plastic pollution, visit www.PlasticFreeTimes.com.