By joining this cause, you’re pledging to support safe teen driving.
THUMBS UP FOR SAFE TEEN DRIVING has been created to support the work of the NOYS Coalition to save the lives of teens on our nation's highways.
NOYS is a collaborative network of national organizations and federal agencies that serve youth and focus on youth safety and health. Through this network, NOYS influences more than 80 million young people ages 5 to 24 and adult advisers and supervisors. The NOYS vision is to be the premier national youth health and safety coalition and their mission is to promote youth empowerment and leadership and to build partnerships that will save lives, prevent injuries, and promote safe and healthy lifestyles among all youth. NOYS is a longstanding leader in developing programs to promote youth traffic safety.
Together, we‘re giving a Thumbs Up for SAFE Teen Driving!
Statistics reported by:
1. Virginia Tech Transportation Institute and NHTSA, “NHTSA, Virginia Tech Transportation Institute Release Findings of Breakthrough Research on Real-World Driver Behavior, Distraction, and Crash Factors” accessed August 17, 2009. http://www.vtti.vt.edu/PDF/100-Car_Press-Release.pdf
2. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/teenagers.html, Fatality Facts 2008, accessed September 15, 2009.
1. Reaching for a phone while driving increases your risk of being in a car crash by nine times.
2. By pledging not to text and drive, you’re doing your part to help make this the Safest Holiday Ever.
3. The deadly consequences of texting while driving don’t just affect teens; it also affects their families, friends and communities.
4. We’re asking teens and teen influencers around the nation to take their thumbs off their cell phones and keep their eyes on the road.