Inspire Underserved Children With a Love of Reading
Reading to Kids is a grassroots organization dedicated to inspiring underserved children with a love of reading, thereby enriching their lives and opportunities for success in the future. To this end, Reading to Kids gathers an average of 878 children and 381 volunteers at reading clubs on the second Saturday of every month at seven Los Angeles elementary schools.
At the monthly reading clubs, pairs of volunteers read aloud to small groups of children, while their parents receive training on how to encourage their children to read at home. Kids, parents, teachers, and school libraries receive book donations at the end of the Reading Clubs. These are important donations, as 60 percent of low-income homes do not have age-appropriate reading materials for children.
Since its inception, Reading to Kids has given more than 128,000 books to children who attend the reading clubs and donated more than 23,000 books to school libraries.
Our goals are:
1. To promote improved reading and learning skills in elementary school children.
2. To develop the library resources of participating schools through book donations.
3. To furnish children with books for their homes.
4. To provide enriching and rewarding volunteering opportunities.
5. To bring the successful "Reading Club" program to other elementary schools.