Crystal Poissonnier
Crystal Poissonnier campaign leader

Olivers Mom | [email protected] |


In early April of 2009, I applied Sergeants Flea & Tick Powder to my 5 year old Tabby, Oliver. A couple days following, I noticed that he was having muscle spams. When I took him to the vet, I was asked if I had applied any topical powder to him and was then told that Permethrin– one of the active ingredients in Sergeant Flea and Tick Powder for Cats—is harmful to animals and was causing the “tremors.” Oliver was diagnosed with Permethrin poisoning.

In doing research about Permethrin Poisoning/Toxicity, I have come across hundreds of horrible, heartbreaking stories not only about the Sergeants product I used on my cat, but other Sergeants products that have caused skin burns, skin irritations, neurological problems, seizures, kidney problems & even death in cats AND dogs. Why Sergeants has products on the shelves that are harmful to the animals they are supposed to protect is beyond my scope of understanding, but I do know this: They need to be held accountable.

At the end of May, I took Oliver in to discuss treatment as the tremors have not ceased. My vet suggested that we may be looking at extensive neurological damage, and that he needs to stay on meds. Since he has been taking Diazepam (Valium®) for more than a month, a full blood work up on him was necessary to be sure the drugs weren’t harming his liver. As I waited for the results, I watched my once energetic, playful kitty tremor away feeling completely helpless and saddened that he may never be the same. All I want is for him to be well—and wished I could get back the day I dusted him with that poison. 15 minutes passed and my vet entered the room with a somber look on her face. Olivers blood work showed her was in the advanced stages of Kidney Failure.

We treated Oliver for two months until he let me know that he was tired and needed for us to let him go. Jeff Balion, a FOX9 investigative reporter, followed Olivers story. As of right now, it will air September 23 on the 9pm newscast. On August 10, 2009 we gave Oliver his wings. The FOX9 cameras were with him the remaining few hours of his life recording him doing what he loved– walking around the yard and watching the birds and butterflies. We were with him until he closed his eyes for the last time. Although it is difficult, we know he is at peace. Now he’s our Angel.

I have started a Facebook page in his name to serve as a petition. Adding Oliver as your friend ( means that you agree that the sale of over the counter products that hurt, permanently damage and kill our pets needs to be stopped. You will not receive any emails from me other than to remind you of the broadcast.

Additionally, I would like you to view the links below so that you may see what these products do to our pets.

Please send your questions and comments to: [email protected]

Thank you for reading.


This clip shows Olivers reaction to the Flea & Tick Powder 48 hours after I applied it to him:

This one shows the tremors two weeks later:

Two cats’ reaction to Hartz Flea & Tick Drops (VERY DISTURBING):

Campaign closed

About this story
  • Inspired 1 signature
  • Viewed 43 times
  • Shared 1 time
to comment