New ways to support fossil fuel divestment at the University of California!
Thank you to all of you who signed the petition and gave us so much support along the way!
Since November 2012, students have been working to pressure the UC to divest its money from fossil fuels. Rather than slow, however, the campaign has picked up momentum and support over the past year and a half. We've had the following successes thus far:
- 8/9 undergraduate student senates have passed resolutions in favor of divestment
- 1 graduate student senate (UC Berkeley) passed a resolution in favor of divestment
- 1 faculty senate (UCSB) passed a resolution in favor of divestment
- the creation of a task force of faculty, students, and 4 Regents to look into carbon neutrality and divestment!!!
There are now active campaigns at all campuses, and active system-wide campaign that empowers students and encourages them to take on roles working with alumni, faculty, administration, and the Regents. We've made an incredible amount of progress and have the attention of the world. However, we still have a lot of work left to do. For that, we ask that our supporters help in a few ways:
- Check out our new website, sign the petition, and pass it on! fossilfreeuc.org
- If you are interested in getting involved in the campaign, check out the website and click on "Get Involved!"
- Finally, if you would like to support the campaign financially, consider making a tax-deductible donation today by visiting sustainabilitycoalition.org . Click on "donate" and you will be prompted to indicate what the donation is going toward (divestment).
- Also, the next National Student Fossil Fuel Divestment convergence is happening this April 4-6 at San Francisco State University. You may also donate to that by visiting sustainabilitycoalition.org as well and clicking on "Divestment Convergence."
Thank you for all your support!