This campaign began in December 2012, following Nirbhaya's gang-rape and murder. Crimes against women have been increasingly happening in India. According to the National Crimes Record Bureau, rape cases have increased by 873% in thirty years, while conviction rates are stagnating. More details here. Why has this been happening?
Experts agree on two reasons:
- A lack of respect for women and more generally a deterioration of social values
- An ineffective judiciary system that seldom arrests sex offenders and punishes them accordingly
This situation can longer be tolerated. I believe it is because it has been tolerated for so long that a few days ago we had to loose a young 23-year-old woman in horrific circumstances. This crime has shaken Indian society and collective consciousness. It is high time everyone contributes for change. I do it every way I can and also by creating this campaign. I invite you to do what you can by signing this petition and being a part of the change.
What do we ask for in this petition?
- Severe punishment for sex offenders: Life imprisonment I Non-bailable I No mercy I No appeal
- Speedy justice for victims: Fast-track courts I Dignified inquiries I Psychological counselling and following I Nonobligatory presence during trials
- Better prevention: More police patrols I More awareness campaigns I Special course in schools
I pledge to forward this petition to all the concerned authorities, including the Supreme Court of India and the Home Minister.
Show your support I Say no to a weak judiciary system I Say yes to change I Contribute I Sign I Share.
Supporters are now helping to
I pledge to forward this petition to all the concerned authorities, including the Supreme Court of India and the Home Minister. Show your support I Say no to a weak judiciary system I Say yes to change I Contribute I Sign I Share.
Viewed 46 times