To increase awareness and resources for the NAA-NY Metro Chapter
The National Autism Association – New York Metro Chapter is an all-volunteer organization. Founded in 2008, we are run by parents and grandparents. NAA-NY Metro helps those impacted by autism spectrum disorders through our programs. Our programs providing direct help to families include:
- NAAvigators, our free parent mentoring program for parents of newly diagnosed children or any families in need of support and guidance;
-Monthly Educational Presentations, featuring professionals treating ASD in a wide variety of fields;
-Monthly Parent Network Exchange Meetings, topic-driven, interactive meetings led by a knowledgeable professional in the field discussed and/or an experienced parent;
-Monthly support group, moderated by a psychologist well-versed in special needs; and
-A growing resource directory.
We also advocate for our families on important legislative issues affecting autism and work to be a voice for our families in the media.
As we grow, we are hoping to be able to provide more workshops and other programs for parents and others, to provide more social events for our families where all children feel safe and accepted, as we continue our mission to be a direct resource to the community and advocate for those who cannot advocate for themselves.
Our parent organization – the National Autism Association – also provides additional valuable programs that we support, including: the Helping Hand Project (a grant program for families in need to pay for treatments and therapies); FOUND (which provides equipment and training to families and communities to help prevent wandering-related tragedies); and Family First (providing grants and other support for marriages at risk).
For more information on our organization and our programs, please visit www.naanyc.org and for descriptions of past programs and other news, events and stories, visit our blog at www.naanyc.blogspot.com
1. Autism is an Epidemic - now affecting 1 in 110 children in the U.S. and in 70 boys
2. NAA-NY Metro provides valuable services directly to those affected by autism spectrum disorders in the five boroughs of NYC, Westchester, Rockland
3. NAA-NY Metro provides valuable educational programming to families and professionals
4. NAA-NY Metro provides free mentoring services to families in need
5. NAA-NY Metro advocates for families in the media and on important legislative issues
Viewed 2 times