You know what I’m thankful for this year?
Everything we’ve accomplished this past year is thanks to you.
Please don't think for a second that I'm just saying that. RAN’s people-powered campaigns literally cannot be won without you. Corporate decision-makers can destroy our planet with impunity if no one calls them out—but you not only call them out, you demand accountability, and your financial support allows us to do this efficiently and effectively. And that's what really makes such a huge difference.
Without you, we can’t protect forests, defend human rights, or move this country past fossil fuels. So the RAN team put together this video to say thank you and show you the incredible power of the network you are an integral part of. (You might even see yourself in it!)
Here is a short but by no means comprehensive list of what you achieved this year:
• You made “Conflict Palm Oil” an international issue discussed in the pages of the New York Times, Businessweek and The Guardian.
• You made it possible for more than 76,000 people to get the training and resources they need to take peaceful direct action and demand President Obama reject the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline.
• By sending nearly 12,000 emails, you convinced the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil to sit down with community members from Papua New Guinea and mediate their dispute with KLK, a notorious forest-destroyer and labor rights abuser.
• You sent over 18,000 emails to Bank of America and Goldman Sachs calling them out for funding Coal India, a company that has been tied to numerous environmental violations. Thanks to you, BofA and Goldman Sachs were forced to go back to Coal India and wring environmental concessions from the company before proceeding.
• More than 25,000 of you called out Cargill for its ties to a palm plantation that uses forced and child labor.
• And the truth about Conflict Palm Oil is currently being broadcast from a Jumbo-Tron in Times Square and has been viewed on YouTube almost half-a-million times.
I also have to offer my sincerest, most heartfelt thanks to you for standing with us during one of the hardest periods in RAN’s history. When Becky Tarbotton—our friend, leader, and executive director—died unexpectedly last December, it was your support, your love, your belief in our core purpose and the importance of our role in the world that helped us get through it. Even when our hearts were broken and things seemed impossibly dark, we were able to come together and persevere.
I honestly can’t think of a more fitting tribute to Becky than this past year—one of the most successful years in RAN history.
Hope you enjoy the video we made for you.
Thank you for everything you're doing. You are making an incredible difference.
Rainforest Action Network
P.S. We rely on the support of folks like you to protect forests, human rights, and the climate. Please consider making a donation today.
Supporters are now helping to
Rainforest Action Network is uniquely suited to making enormous changes happen. We're tough. We're tenacious. We think big and we won't ever back down. In our 26-year history, we have secured hundreds of critical victories for the environment and Indigenous communities around the world and have helped protect millions of acres of forests in Indonesia, Canada, Chile, Brazil and beyond. To…
Viewed 7 times