Please help to spread an awareness to bring an end to the meerkat / suricate pet trade - by telling others about the plight of wild meerkats and those in captivity we can help protect this incredible species with Conservation Through Education - all it takes is sharing the information with others - thank you for your time. Conserving wild and free meerkats full time professionally since 1993 and ongoing.
Testimonial from Professor Tim Clutton-Brock from Cambridge University Large Animal Research Group (L.A.R.G) in Britain for Grant M. Mc Ilrath - A.K.A - The Meerkat Man
Testimonial from Professor J.D. Skinner from Pretoria University Mammal Research Institute (M.R.I) in South Africa for Grant M. Mc Ilrath - A.K.A - The Meerkat Man
Testimonial from Kruger National Park South Africa for Grant M. Mc Ilrath - A.K.A - The Meerkat Man
Testimonial from Film Maker Richard Goss for Grant M. Mc Ilrath - A.K.A - The Meerkat Man
Born in Gauteng on 3 March 1973, attended Parkview primary and then Parkview Senior Schools followed by Greenside High School then moved to Pretoria to study Nature Conservation professionally, then in 1993 moved to the Kalahari for over seven years of professional wildlife field research employed with the University of Pretoria South Africa M.R.I - Mammal Research Institute and Cambridge University United Kingdom L.A.R.G - Large Animal Research Group and then moved to Witsand in the Western Cape with Stellenbosch University in South Africa and Oxford University United Kingdom for Herpestinae wildlife research then to Oudtshoorn to establish The Meerkat Magic Conservation Project and MEERKAT MAGIC MOMENTS and MONGOOSE MAGIC MOMENTS and to buy land and create and own The Meerkat Magic Valley Reserve to current.
Grant M. Mc Ilrath - A.K.A - The Meerkat Man - Published Scientific Research:
These scientific publications were done jointly with The Mammal Research Institute (M.R.I) of The University of Pretoria of South Africa and The Large Animal Research Group (L.A.R.G) of The University of Cambridge in Britain that Grant M. Mc Ilrath - A.K.A - The Meerkat Man worked with for over seven years in the Kalahari from 1993 before establishing The Meerkat Magic Conservation Project and MEERKAT MAGIC MOMENTS and MONGOOSE MAGIC MOMENTS and The Meerkat Magic Valley Reserve around Oudtshoorn Western Cape South Africa.
Over the period from 1993 to current Grant M. Mc Ilrath- A.K.A - The Meerkat Man has co-authored the following scientific publications with Cambridge University Britain and Pretoria University South Africa, and others:
1. Title: http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/content/14/4/472.short A genetic analysis of breeding success in the cooperative meerkat (Suricata suricatta). Published in: BEHAVIORAL ECOLOGY
2. Title: http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/content/14/4/486.short Breeding success in cooperative meerkats: effects of helper number and maternal state. Published in: BEHAVIORAL ECOLOGY
3. Title: http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/5/590.short Offspring food allocation by parents and helpers in a cooperative mammal. Published in: BEHAVIORAL ECOLOGY
4. Title: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s002650000249 Reproductive suppression and inbreeding avoidance in wild populations of co operatively breeding meerkats (Suricata suricatta). Published in: BEHAVIORAL ECOLOGY AND SOCIOBIOLOGY
5. Title: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/297/5579/253.short Evolution and development of sex differences in cooperative behavior in meerkats. Published in: SCIENCE
How you can help
Every caring conservation vote can help change the fate of wild meerkats by directly influencing and reducing the supply and demand of the meerkat pet trade through this created awareness. Wild meerkats can be actively protected by educating people not to destroy natural habitat by preventing ploughing of meerkat sleeping burrows, the use of toxins and destruction of habitat.
Wild and Free meerkats /suricates need protection! To cast your valued anonymous vote and help make a difference to this Conservation Through Education survey - every vote helps: Please vote about meerkat conservation by pressing here! Conservation Through Education is essential - for every person who tells another about the plight of Wild and Free meerkats and their habitat loss through…
Inspired 7 pledges, 4 pledges
Viewed 507 times