Police role in Rehtaeh Parsons case to be reviewed
A former Ontario deputy attorney general will scrutinize the Nova Scotia police and public prosecution's investigation into the case of Rehtaeh Parsons, the Cole Harbour girl who died after she was bullied online.
Murray Segal will review the timing of their actions and examine whether police and the prosecution service followed procedural policy.
Justice Minister Ross Landry said the $200,000 review will take six months.
According to Rehtaeh’s family, four boys sexually assaulted her when she was 15. The teen was then said to have been mocked by classmates, and endured relentless harassment and humiliation after a photo of the attack was circulated at school and on social media.
On April 7, Rehtaeh, then 17, was taken off life-support after attempting to take her own life a few days earlier.
No charges were laid after the initial investigation. The case was reopened earlier this year, however, and last week, two 18-year-old boys were charged with child pornography offences. They are expected to appear in court later this week.
One of the many questions in the Rehtaeh case is why no charges were laid until now.
Read the rest of the story here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/08/12/ns-rehtaeh-parsons-police-investigation.html