10 Reasons to Stop the Kochs from Buying the News!
Top 10 Reasons to Stop the Koch Brothers from Buying the News
BY SEIU COMMUNICATIONS
The Koch brothers want to purchase nine daily newspapers -- including the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune and Baltimore Sun -- to promote their radical right-wing agenda. Millions of readers won't be able to trust their daily newspapers and will instead be fed a steady diet of far-right propaganda.
Here are the top 10 things we could expect to read about in a Koch-owned daily newspaper:
1. Attacking immigrants. Through their funding of ALEC, the Kochs were responsible for anti-immigrant state legislation such as Arizona's SB 1070.
2. Denying global warming. The Kochs have spent more than $67 million to deny thescience behind global climate change since 1997.
3. Attacking workers. By supporting Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and groups like Americans for Prosperity and ALEC, the Kochs were a driving force behind efforts to take away workers' rights to collectively bargain.
4. Violating voting rights. The Kochs funded efforts to pass state voter ID laws that limit voting rights, particularly for low-income people of color.
5. Destroying Social Security. The Kochs have been trying since 1980 to privatize Social Security and put millions of seniors at risk.
6. De-funding education. The Kochs have attacked public education from manydifferent directions, including school board elections and state legislation.
7. Protecting Wall Street. The Koch brothers campaigned against Wall Street reformlegislation, working against efforts to give the government more oversight against speculation in the oil industry.
8. Intimidating voters. Koch Industries sent a letter to 45,000 employees before the November 2012 elections, warning that if they didn't vote for Mitt Romney there would be "consequences".
9. Promoting "Stand Your Ground" gun laws. Through their financial support of ALEC, the Kochs have promoted drastic gun laws that allow almost anyone to shoot someone if they feel threatened in any way.
10. Attacking the minimum wage. The Kochs have long advocatedabolishing the minimum wage.