Federal workers must not be held hostage because the legislative and executive branches are being controlled by big money who are really supporting them and their re-election. As long as our elected officials are taking their marching orders from those who contribute to their livelihood through Super PACs/PACs/Citizen United/NRA, etc, our government will remain dysfunctional and unwilling to do what is best for ALL citizens. The stalemate of corrupt, immature adults need to be voted out and replaced with adults that are willing to work together. And this means that the government is never shutdown again and workers furloughed or made to work without their regular paycheck.
The first shutdown was during Reagan’s presidency. It’s no coincidence that’s when the GOP started their evil ways of breaking up unions, destroying the middle class, widening the gap between the rich and poor, PACs came into being, the Federalists Society formed, their ideology that started with Goldwater run for president in 1964 took hold, etc.
Until the Democrats stand up and call out the GOP for whom they’re are: Racist bigots that only care for the 2%, the remaining 98% will see their rights and livelihood taken away.
May the progressive Millennials save this country, because the current Democrats don’t seem to be able to take the Conservative GOP down.