We are a Republic for a reason. The only votes that would matter would be highly populated urban areas. Thus, no candidate would have to campaign anywhere else. This would cause sparsely populated areas to feel disfranchised. All it would take to be president is 50.1% of the vote. Meanwhile, the other 49.9% would be composed of votes for not only the other main party candidate, but for other parties as well.