I’m glad to see the HERO’S Act addressing much needed funding for mail in voting and supports for essential workers. I haven’t read the entire bill, so I do not know if education has been addressed? I am very concerned about the youth in our country going back to school. Some things to consider:
1. Getting technology & wifi into the hands of our most disadvantaged kids, in the event schools cannot re-open or need to close for sanitation or a new surge of this pandemic.
2. Temperature, testing, tracing ( this would require devices) of students.
3. School staff trained to recognize the signs of COVID-19 and the related hyper immune response that affect children.
4. Sharing school & district plans to create social distancing in a school, like split double sessions, addition of portables, and use of virtual schools. Lunches? Recess? Pre-K’s and Kindergartners...it’s like herding cats...how will we keep them apart???
5. What is the plan for our kids already having health risks?
6. What to do with anti-vaxers?
I could go on. It is best to get real educators & administration from Pre-K thru University level( NOT DeVos) together to discuss challenges &! viable solutions BEFORE August, and then help States to implement plans.
Education is the core of our Democracy. There is NO reason, in today’s technological age, that we can’t have quality education for ALL children. Please spend some time to address this issue before it becomes another fire to put out.
And, for the love of our country, encourage the next president to appoint an educator as the Secretary of Education! There’s an unprecedented thought.