Together with its membership, ASAP works toward fulfilling its mission to improve the lives of persons affected by syringomyelia, Chiari malformation and related disorders while we find the cure.
The American Syringomyelia & Chiari Alliance Project, Inc. (ASAP) is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) donor-supported organization founded in 1988 by Barbara and Don White. ASAP began as a grassroots organization in the White's spare bedroom due to the frustration they encountered when Barbara was diagnosed with Chiari malformation and syringomyelia. Since then, ASAP has grown tremendously but our fundamental goals of research, education and support remain the same.
Funding more than one million dollars in research grants to date, ASAP is the leading organization in the fight against Chiari and syringomyelia. Visit us on the web at http://www.ASAP.org/
Our mission: improve the lives of persons affected by syringomyelia, Chiari malformation and related disorders until we find the cure.
1. Fund ground-breaking research investigating all causes, to develop and improve treatments for both Chiari malformation and syringomyelia.
2. Promote awareness of Chiari and syringomyelia, encourage early diagnosis and recognition of signs and symptoms of both disorders.
3. Support individuals and families affected by Chiari and/or syringomyelia through a variety of programs.
4. ASAP's annual Chiari & Syringomyelia Conference has the goal of bringing together leading researchers with affected individuals to learn and share.
5. ASAP is a clearinghouse for information. We offer a variety of publications on syringomyelia, Chiari and associated disorders.