The mission of the Tamils Rehabilitation Organisation (TRO) is to provide much needed relief, rehabilitation and development for the people of the NorthEast of Sri Lanka.
The Tamils Rehabilitation Organization (TRO) was formed in 1985, by Tamil Refugees from Sri Lanka, with a mandate to address the ‘Relief, Rehabilitation and Development needs of the NorthEast and has evolved into the principle relief and rehabilitation organization in the area. The organization has been in dedicated service to the people of the region during the past 25 years of war and possesses exceptional knowledge of the grassroots realities and of the culture, values, and aspirations of the people of the NorthEast.
TRO works as a program partner with many multilateral agencies, UN agencies, international Non-Governmental Organizations (INGO’s), and the Government of Sri Lanka (GOSL). The head office is located in Kilinochchi and there are 10 District/sub-offices throughout Sri Lanka employing approximately 3,500 local personnel and in times of crisis up to 10,000 local and international volunteers. There are also independant TRO offices in over 18 countries throughout the world. In addressing the humanitarian needs of the region TRO does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, language, caste, or national origin.
TRO is a registered Non-Governmental Organization (No.L50706) in Sri Lanka and is registered with the consortium of Humanitarian Agencies (CHA) in Sri Lanka.
1. A Just Peaceful, Secure and Democratic country free from hunger, poverty, health hazards, illiteracy, environmental degradation and all forms of exploitation and discrimination based on race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, language, caste, and/or natio
2. Provide short-term relief and long-term rehabilitation & development to the tsunami & war affected IDPs in the NorthEast of Sri Lanka.
3. Promote and seek international aid from nations and non-governmental organisations, for TRO's humanitarian operations in NorthEast Sri Lanka
4. Channel expertise and funds to promote economic development, uplifting the living conditions for the internally displaced persons in NorthEast Sri Lanka
5. Canvass public and political opinion internationally, to highlight the plight of the internally displaced persons in NorthEast Sri Lanka