POGO is an independent nonprofit that investigates and exposes corruption and other misconduct in order to achieve a more accountable federal government.
The Project On Government Oversight follows a rich tradition of assuring that the government continues to work for the people it represents. Our nation was founded on the very principle that representation and accountability are fundamental to maintaining a strong and functioning democracy. Today, these principles espoused by our founding fathers are under attack as our federal government is more vulnerable than ever to the influence of money in politics and powerful special interests.
In the beginning, POGO (which was then known as Project on Military Procurement) worked to expose outrageously overpriced military spending such as the $7,600 coffee maker and the $436 hammer. After many successes reforming the military, POGO expanded its mandate to investigate systemic waste, fraud, and abuse in all federal agencies.
1. Release an updated database on the misconduct of the government’s top 100 contractors
2. Highlight the government’s excessive and unaccountable national security spending practices
3. Demonstrate how and why certain Inspector General offices have become weakened and politicized in recent years
4. Accelerate the removal of nuclear materials from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
5. Expose the government’s refusal to audit multinational companies that extract oil and other precious resources from Native American land