raise $8 million by 2008. Funds are to be used to support programs offering HIV and AIDS education, prevention, treatment and care services in the United States and around the world.
ATTENTION: please use this link if you wish to donate. The United Methodist Global AIDS Fund is not registered with facebook. If you donate with the facebook link it will donate to the national AIDS fund. http://secure.gbgm-umc.org/donations/advance/donate.cfm?code=982345&CFID=233277&CFTOKEN=39484204
The United Methodist Global AIDS Fund was established at the 2004 General Conference to raise $8 million by 2008. Funds are to be used to support programs offering HIV and AIDS education, prevention, treatment and care services in the United States and around the world.
Through this fund, "...United Methodists have an opportunity to create life-saving programs of prevention and education within a climate of Christian compassion and care," said Donald E. Messer, a member of the United Methodist Global AIDS Fund Committee and Professor of Practical Theology and President Emeritus of the Iliff School of Theology. "Since the days of John Wesley, we have been on the frontiers of health and hope, love and life. United Methodists favor action, not apathy; compassion, not condemnation; and liberation, not stigmatization."1
The United Methodist Global AIDS Fund will
* Assist congregations and Annual Conferences in identifying and creating global partnerships for mutual HIV/AIDS ministry;
* Provide support for projects sponsored by local congregations or organizations related to The United Methodist Church, autonomous Methodist churches, and churches of other denominations;
* Advocate for increased governmental and non-governmental AIDS funding;
* Explore partnerships with government funding initiatives as well as the Global Fund for AIDS, TB, and Malaria;
* Develop appropriate promotional materials and funding guidelines.
Raising $8 million means asking each US member to give just 25 cents a year, or $1 over the quadrennium.
1. AIDS is a world epidemic
2. As Children of God we are called to help our brothers and sisters