The "It's a Girl" campaign is all about empowering activists to help tell the world that gendercide is real, it's happening now, and there is something that all of us can do to put an end to it. Here are all the steps you can take to get involved with the movement:
To fight gendercide in China:
- Sign the petition (http://www.causes.com/causes/789379-it-s-a-girl-documentary-end-gendercide-now/actions/1676540) urging world leaders to help end forced abortions, sterilizations, and coercive family planning under the One Child Policy in China
- Donate (http://www.causes.com/causes/792226-women-s-rights-without-frontiers-end-forced-abortion/actions/1684039?reposter=789379) to Women's Rights Without Frontiers, an organization fighting gendercide on the ground in China.
To fight gendercide in India:
- Sign the petition (http://www.causes.com/causes/74219-the-50-million-missing-a-campaign-against-india-s-female-genocide/actions/1658138?reposter=789379) demanding that the Indian government take immediate and effective action to protect its female citizens.
- Donate (http://www.causes.com/causes/552365-invisible-girl-project/actions/1681196?reposter=789379) to Invisible Girl Project, an organization with multiple initiatives to save young girls and provide for their basic needs in India.
To pledge your support to the "It's a Girl" campaign:
- Take the pledge (http://www.causes.com/causes/789379-it-s-a-girl-documentary-end-gendercide-now/actions/1688479) to take a stand against gendercide.
Together, we're fighting for the countless girls in India, China, and many other parts of the world today who are being killed, aborted, and abandoned simply because they are girls. Due to this "gendercide," the United Nations estimates that there are now as many as 200 million girls missing in the world today.
"It's a Girl" puts a face to this injustice. In this documentary film we meet girls who've been abandoned and trafficked, women who suffer extreme dowry-related violence, brave mothers fighting to save their daughters' lives, and finally, some mothers who would kill for a son. Women's rights experts explain the deeply-ingrained cultural dynamics and government policies that accelerate the elimination of girls in China and India today.
We knew that sharing these powerful stories of struggle, courage, and incredible resilience against all odds was important - but awareness is just the first step. The "It's a Girl Campaign" on Causes is the start of an international movement of people determined to speak up for these silenced girls and women.
To bring It's a Girl to your community, just visit the It's a Girl website (http://www.itsagirlmovie.com/screenings/host-a-screening) to organize your screening.
To learn more about the film and the fight to end gendercide, visit the It's a Girl website (http://itsagirlmovie.com/). You can also check the website for upcoming screenings and opportunities to see the documentary playing at a theatre near you.