Hello People of NZ
We need to seriously do something about the use of 1080 in NZ! It is disgusting, it is one of the most horrific ways for an animal to die!
1. Aerial application of 1080 poison is banned in the U.S. due
to "the extreme hazard to human health and to the environment." (From the United States Environmental Protection Agency.)
2. There is NO ANTIDOTE for 1080 poison. Classified as a "super toxic" poison, it takes 1/500 of an ounce to kill a 68kg man. According to the U.S. EPA, there is insufficient data on the effects of low residual doses of 1080 on human health.
3. After an aerial drop, there is no control over 1080 poison. Minute quantities can be wind-blown or washed downhill. Undegraded sodium fluoroacetate (1080) travels down into the soil & ground water, therefore, it can get into tank water, streams and water supplies.
4. A 1080 pellet can last for up to six months in cool dry conditions.
5. A poisoned possum can travel 5 kilometres or more before it dies.
6. A possum carcass can take six months or more to decompose, depending on where it dies and weather conditions.
7. 1080 poison kills an unacceptable number of non-target species, including dogs, cats, deer, pigs, birds, hedgehogs, bees and other insects.
8. 1080 poison does not break down in the body therefore is a high risk of direct or secondary poisoning to non-target creatures.
9. 1080 kills insects. Sodium monofluoroacetate (1080) was patented as an insecticide in Great Britain in 1927, proving an effective contact & systemic insecticide. However, it was considered too dangerous to use! Also, a New Zealand report for Landcare NZ (Meads June '94) recommended further investigation of 1080 impact on invertebrate insect populations was urgently required.
10. 1080 is highly toxic to ALL avian species. U.S. research has proven that this lethal poison is capable of wiping out entire species, ie. Environment Canada and Canadian Wildlife Service states in their National Recovery Programme for Burrowing Owls that "a study by Butts (1973) suggested that the presence of 1080 (sodium fluoracetate) laced grain may have contributed to a 71% reduction in the breeding population of a colony of Burrowing Owls between two consecutive years.
What about our morepork?
What about our kiwi?
1080 poisoning - some physical effects on mammals: Cardiac irregularities/cardiac arrest, Anxiety, Atrophy of the brain, Respiratory problems, Central nervous system disturbances, Excitation/depression, Nausea & vomiting, Convulsions, Citrate accumulation in tissues, Organ congestion, Chronic fatigue syndrome. Note: People have suffered from several of these conditions after aerial 1080 drops.
WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!
If you feel as strongly opposed to 1080 as I do, please, Join the Cause to 'BAN 1080'