Back to Save the Anglican Church In Georgetown

church history

I would like to Thank Donna Collins for the histroy of the church posted below. It is very interesting! Just to let all know We are growing every day!!! Please stay tuned for news!

PEI Register of Heritage Places application information

Location: Georgetown
Current name: Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Original name: Holy Trinity Anglican Church

Draft December 2007

Age: Built 1837; Opened in 1841

Style: The main body of the church has a simple gabled roof with gothic styled, stained glass windows. It features a battlemented square tower with corner finials and on the Southeast and Northeast corners there are buttresses. In 1860 the church went under some renovations. The roof was given a steeper pitch, as to give a greater height to the ceiling. As well, perpendicular style gothic tracery was put into the window heads.

Design: Single storey

Architect/Builder:

Streetscape: This church stands at the Southeast corner of Kent’s Square.

Integrity: Much of this structure is unchanged from it’s 1860 extension, both inside and out. It still has its original wood shingle exterior, although the paint colour has changed over time. The roof is original; steel roofing was put over the top of the shingles. The glass in original in the windows; the church is working towards adding plexiglass over top of the windows to protect them.

Construction methods: Wood frame, concrete basement

Exterior Condition: Good

Landmark: Perhaps the oldest church in Georgetown, it was used early on as a landmark to be seen from the sea on an old mariner’s map. This church has sat at the corner of Kent’s Square for over 165 years.

Historical Context: The church was erected while under the mission of Reverend Charles Lloyd. As soon as the frame was complete, the congregation moved in. With the exterior was finished, it took some years for the interior to be completed, however that did not stop the parishioners from using the site as a place of worship. With the decline in shipbuilding, in Georgetown, at the end of the 19th century, hard times befell the church. For a number of years the church was served by visiting students in the summer, priests, and lay readers. There was an extended period of seven years where no services were held at all in the church. However, over the last number of years the congregation has worked towards revitalizing their church.
There have been minimal changes made to the church over the years. Much of the materials used to decorate the church came from England. The paintings which hang on its walls, the priests chair (carved from a stump of wood), and even the bell which still hangs in the tower are all testaments to the early days of this building.
Event/Person/Activity/Institution:
The basement of this church contains a brass rubbing center. The plates which are used are very old, having come from England in the early days.
There was also a church hall, which was built shortly after the church, that was the location of an early school. The children were taught from of the King James Bible and so most of the Catholic children were sent to the public school. After some years this issue was worked out and afterwards all the young children in the community attended this school. It was known as ‘the infant school’. Some years ago the building was sold and hauled away - it still exists within the town.

Other information Sources:
A Souvenir of Your Visit To Holy Trinity Church
Georgetown Walking Tour 2007
Historic Churches of Prince Edward Island - H.M. Scott Smith
Country Churchyards - Boyd Beck
Georgetown Stories - Nathan Mair
Donna Collings Collection
Georgetown Book 1730-1900
Interview with Emily Standing, November 2007
Cadastral Map PARO# 550 ca. 1845
Meacham’s 1880 Atlas
Lake Map 1863
Nathan Mair Interview December...

to comment