YES! is dedicated to providing youth with a healthy body, a healthy mind and a healthy lifestyle. We do this by offering youth practical tools and life skills to manage stress and emotions.
WHAT WE DO
YES! for Schools is dedicated to providing youth with a healthy body, a healthy mind and a healthy lifestyle. We do this by offering youth practical tools and life skills to manage stress and emotions.
WHY WE DO IT
Research indicates one of the greatest impediments to learning is stress. Yet, the standard school curriculum offers little or no time for teaching the practical tools students need to cope with the stress they experience on a daily basis. As a direct consequence students lack focus and concentration, do poorly on tests, and struggle with social and emotional issues such as low self-esteem, low self-confidence, depression and anxiety. Without a healthy alternative, students often turn to unhealthy strategies to cope with stress such as smoking, alcohol or drugs and engage in withdrawn, aggressive or violent behavior.
HOW WE DO IT
YES! for Schools provides youth with healthy strategies to manage their stress and emotions through a 30-hour experiential curriculum that is delivered as a part of the school day. Ideally the program is delivered 1 hour a day for 30 days. The curriculum includes three modules: Healthy Body, Healthy Mind and Healthy Lifestyle.
The Healthy Body module encourages physical fitness and healthy food choices through:
- Physical activity that includes exercise to stretch and strengthen the body
- Experiential processes that encourage mindful eating
- Interactive discussions on food and nutrition
The Healthy Mind module includes stress management and relaxation techniques that encour- age a positive mental attitude through:
- Targeted breathing techniques that reduce stress, anger, anxiety and depression; improve focus and concentration; and enhance learning ability
- Relaxation exercises that encourage a calm state of mind
- Experiential processes that revitalize human values such as responsibility, respect, kindness, belonging, honesty, enthusiasm and service
The Healthy Lifestyle module includes social emotional learning and life skills in conflict resolution through:
- Teamwork exercises that teach how to manage emotions and resolve conflict
- Interactive processes that encourage pro-social behavior, problem solving and cooperation
- Dynamic discussions that teach goal setting and good decision-making
- Practical knowledge that increases self-confidence and inner-strength to help students handle peer pressure and make healthy choices when faced with life’s challenges
The result of our program is a safe and positive learning environment, increased academic performance, improved student behavior, enhanced connection with peers, parents and teachers, and a sense of belonging in the school community.