To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
America’s 2,663 YMCAs serve more than 20.2 million people each year, uniting men, women and children of all ages, races, faiths, backgrounds, abilities and income levels. At the heart of community life across America, mission-driven YMCAs are a place to belong and to live the values that guide and unite our members: caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
From cities to suburbs to small towns, YMCAs serve America's children, families and communities by “building healthy spirit, mind and body for all.” Across the country, 67.7 million households and 33.7 million children 14 and under live within three miles of a YMCA. Fifty-eight percent of Ys (1,496) serve communities where the median family income is below the national average.
1. Children and Youth -- Every day, Ys help children and youth to deepen positive values, their commitment to service and their motivation to learn. Together, YMCAs are the nation’s largest provider of child care, with nearly 10,000 child care sites across
2. Health and Well-being for all -- YMCAs are working to combat rising levels of obesity and promote healthy living for millions of Americans through YMCA Activate America®. Three-fifths of YMCAs (1,525) have committed to this bold approach to directly addr
3. Family Strengthening -- Ys help families build stronger bonds, achieve greater work/life balance and become more engaged with their communities. Millions of families participate in YMCA programs. Nearly 900 YMCAs offer family-specific programs: 621 provid
4. Volunteers -- Volunteer founded and volunteer led, YMCAs depend on the generosity and dedication of their 563,282 volunteers across the country to meet the unique needs of each community. Volunteers are at the center of YMCA operations—from reading to p
5. International Reach -- YMCAs are also at work abroad, serving more than 45 million people in 120 countries. Through cross-cultural learning opportunities and international partnerships and programs, YMCAs in the U.S. have worldwide impact, providing guida