San Francisco Team Tibet is an alliance that uses the Beijing Olympics to pressure the Chinese government authorities for a fundamental change in occupied Tibet.
Tibetan Association of Northern California * Students for a Free Tibet * Gyuto * San Francisco Regional Youth Congress * Committee of 100 for Tibet * Bay Area Friends of Tibet * Nechung
San Francisco Team Tibet is an alliance that uses the Beijing Olympics to pressure the Chinese government authorities for a fundamental change in occupied Tibet. By hosting the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, the Chinese leadership hopes to present China as a free and open society to the outside world. SF Team Tibet educates the public that the facts on the ground in Tibet are very different.
Our campaign highlights the systematic suppression of fundamental human rights and focuses on such opportunities to expose the situation to the public in the San Francisco Bay Area in collaboration with local and international Tibet-related groups. The alliance deploys educational, fundraising, and protest activities to events related to the 2008 Olympic Games and seek support from people and groups in the San Francisco Bay Area and around the world to press for freedom in Tibet and in China.
• We call upon the athletes and the international community to use the opportunity of the 2008 Games in Beijing to voice their solidarity with the Tibetan people and support for the fundamental values of freedom and justice shared by the founders of the Olympic movement and people around the world.
• We urge the International Olympic Committee to guarantee freedom of expression during the Beijing 2008 Games and to revise its policy of ignoring the human rights situation in China and the situation in occupied Tibet.
• We call on the Chinese government to respect the rights of the Tibetan people and to resolve the Tibetan issue through sincere dialogue with the Tibetan Government-in-Exile and the Dalai Lama.
• We urge all governments to pressure the Chinese authorities to immediately release all political prisoners in Tibet and China.
In the months leading up to the 2008 Olympics the alliance will focus primarily on the following events:
• 22nd Annual Tibet Day on as fundraiser and informational/activist fair
• New Year’s Eve Dance Party fundraiser, December 31, 2007
• • April 9, 2008 Olympic Torch Relay event in San Francisco
• Possible action: June, 27-July 7, 2008 U.S. track trials for the Olympics, Eugene, Oregon
• August 8 – 24 , 2008, Olympic Games in Beijing
Information about past events and efforts can be found at http://sfteamtibet.org
1. China must end the systematic suppression of the Tibetan people.
2. Help educate the public about Tibet by using the April 9 Olympic Torch Relay in San Francisco.
3. Call on the Chinese government to respect the rights of the Tibetan people and to resolve the Tibetan issue through sincere dialogue with the Tibetan Government-in-Exile and the Dalai Lama.