Protect Human Rights Worldwide
Amnesty International (AI, www.amnesty.org) is a worldwide movement of people who campaign for internationally recognized human rights.
Founded in the UK in 1961, AI draws attention to human rights abuses and campaigns for compliance with international standards. It works to mobilize public opinion in the belief that it is this which has the power to exert pressure on those who perpetrate abuses.
"Amnesty International’s vision is of a world in which every person enjoys all of the human rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights standards.
In pursuit of this vision, Amnesty International’s mission is to undertake research and action focused on preventing and ending grave abuses of the rights to physical and mental integrity, freedom of conscience and expression, and freedom from discrimination, within the context of its work to promote all human rights."
– Statute of Amnesty International, 27th International Council meeting, 2005
1. Abolish the death penalty
2. End extrajudicial executions and "disappearances"
3. Ensure prison conditions meet international human rights standards
4. Ensure prompt and fair trial for all political prisoners
5. Ensure free education to all children worldwide
6. Fight impunity from systems of justice
7. End the recruitment and use of child soldiers
8. Free all prisoners of conscience
9. Promote economic, social and cultural rights for marginalized communities
10. Protect human rights defenders
11. Promote religious tolerance
12. Stop torture and ill-treatment
13. Stop unlawful killings in armed conflict
14. Uphold the rights of refugees, migrants and asylum seekers