To show support for Grant and raise awareness of Malignant Rhabdoid Tumor

Grant was born on December 2nd, 2008. He was perfectly healthy, weighing in at 8lbs 13 oz and 21 inches long. He had beautiful blue eye and a big patch of dark brown hair. He came home after a few days and was the normal happy baby.

Grant went to his normal checkups and around his three month mark his left hand started to look like he had a bug bite. From there it started to swell. We brought him to the pediatric clinic and they believed that it was just extra cellular growth but suggested we go to a hand specialist. The hand continuted to grow.

We went to a local specialist and the doctor performed an ultra-sound on the hand and dismissed it as extra growth and since it was in his hand that he would do a follow up in 3 months but probably would not do anything until he was older, about a year, because he didn't want to put someone so young under sedation. This misdiagnosis allowed for the tumor to spread from his hand to under his left arm pit and even into Grant's lungs.

Grant's hand continued to get larger, spreading his fingers abnormally apart to the point where he couldn't use his left hand. We weren't happy with the specialist's diagnosis so we scheduled a second visit with a different specialist near Annapolis.

We then noticed another growth under Grant's left arm. This one grew rapidly and we were very concerned. We scheduled another visit at the pediatrician's office. Dr. Chris Rossbach looked at Grant and became concerned. His initial reaction was surprise that the specialist did not perform more tests and was willing to wait 3 months before seeing Grant again. He also was surprised that non-invasive treatments like sterioids were not considered. Dr. Rossbach contacted the National Children's Medical Center and discussed the situation with Dr. Anthony Sandler, the Chief of Surgery. Dr. Sandler was going to be in surgery that afternoon but insisted that we brng Grant to Washington, DC and that he would look at him after hours when we got there.

Dr. Sandler and Dr. Murthy, a pediatric plastic surgeon, examined Grant and determined that no matter what, more tests needed to be performed and that waiting a couple moe months was not an option. We left the NCMC that Friday afternoon knowing we would be coming back the next week for exams.

Dr. Sandler personally called us up over the weekend to let us know he had set up an MRI for Grant on Monday and for us to come in at 10. He also set up a round of other visits just in case it turned out to be something different. This included an initial visit to he Oncology dept. Grant had an MRI that day and was scheduled to come back on Tuesday for a biopsy of the lump under his arm.

On Tuesday Grant underwent surgery. The biopsy came back as cancerous and Theresa and I were completely floored by the news. They did not know for certain what type of cancer it was, just that if it grew this quickly (Grant's tumor on his arm went from a bug bite to a golf ball in under a week) that it was an extremely agressive one. After his biopsy he was admitted to the hospital which would turn out to be 2 1/2 weeks before he would get to go home.

By the end of the week Grant was diagnosed wth a Malignant Rhabdoid Tumor. This is an extremely rare form of cancer that usually affects children under 5 years old. Out of all the childhood cancer's, this one ranks within the top 4 for being the worst. Only about 20 cases of MRT are seen world wide in a year. Very little is known about it, just how devasting it is.

Grant unfortunately lost his fight and is now an angel watching over his loved ones. This group is to show support for the Aug family and to raise awareness of this horrible disease.