Working together to urge the NY State Legislature to Support the Midwifery Modernization Act Petition
NYSALM (New York State Association of Licensed Midwives) is urging midwifery consumers and the birth community to support the Midwifery Modernization Act (S.5007/A.08117). This act would serve as an amendment to the current Midwifery Practice Act, removing the requirement for a written practice agreement between a licensed midwife and a physician in New York State. Currently, physicians are not required to enter into these agreements with midwives, and their refusal to do so for any reason can limit midwives ability to practice despite being licensed, qualified maternity and women's health providers.
1. Every pregnant women should have the access to a caregiver who can honor their beliefs and their needs.
2. Research shows that maternity outcomes for midwives are excellent while maternity costs are significantly lower.
3. As midwifery consumers and supporters, we urge the NY State Legislature to support the Midwifery Modernization Act (S.5007/A.08117).
4. The current law states that licensed midwives must enter into a signed agreement with a physician in order to practice.
5. By eliminating the requirement for written practice agreements, this amendment will enhance midwives’ ability to deliver safe and high-quality care.