get deserved appreciation for the visual and performing arts
The arts are often considered less valuable than other activities in schools such as athletics and academics. Take action in your school or community to earn the performing and visual arts the respect they deserve.
Did You Know?
Young people who participate in the arts for at least three hours on three days each week through at least one full year are:
* 4 times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement
* 3 times more likely to be elected to class office within their schools
* 4 times more likely to participate in a math and science fair
* 3 times more likely to win an award for school attendance
* 4 times more likely to win an award for writing an essay or poem
Young artists, as compared with their peers, are likely to:
* Attend music, art, and dance classes nearly three times as frequently
* Participate in youth groups nearly four times as frequently
* Read for pleasure nearly twice as often
* Perform community service more than four times as often
1. Art, music and drama do not receive enough recognition or support from districts, administration, students, staff and communities.
2. The arts are just as valuable, if not more, than other activities in schools such as athletics and academics.