The New York City Department of Youth and Community Development slashed funding for homeless youth shelters, in a wave of funding cuts that promise to return over 1,000 LGBTQ youth to the street.
1. According to a City Council-funded survey, 35-40% of all homeless youth in NYC identify as LGBTQ.
2. Citywide, there are currently only 75 beds for the over 1,300 LGBTQ youth who are homeless in the city every night.
3. In March 2009, the Department of Youth and Community Development refused funding for Sylvia's Place, which houses 26 beds for LGBTQ homeless youth.
4. DYCD also cut funds for Bronx Community Pride, which operates the only LGBTQ youth drop-in center in the Bronx.
5. DYCD should restore all funding to LGBTQ homeless youth programs and stop targetting the programs that effectively serve LGBTQ youth.