build alliances, strengthen capacity, influence policies, harness resources and inspire action to save women's and newborn's lives worldwide.
The White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood is an international coalition of individuals and organizations formed to promote increased public awareness of the need to make pregnancy and childbirth safe for all women - in developing as well as developed countries. Members of the Alliance take action in their own countries to make this issue a priority for their government and other international organizations.
The WRA is a grassroots movement for safe motherhood that builds alliances, strengthens capacity, influences policies, harnesses resources and inspires action to save women's and newborns lives worldwide.
The following principles are our shared beliefs, which provide guidance about structure, processes and overall conduct to all who join the White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood.
Members have a voice and responsibility in developing and maintaining an accountable, effective, transparent and responsive, sustainable alliance and to participate in decision-making.
Members may organize activities consistent with the mission, vision and principles of the White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood.
Members are committed to enhancing local understanding of safe motherhood and building local capacity to advance the goals of safe motherhood at all levels.
Members are committed to sharing best and promising practices to advance the goal of safe motherhood.
The White Ribbon Alliance promotes the open exchange of information, collaboration, learning and ideas in ways that are appropriate in the local, national and international context.
The White Ribbon Alliance actively seeks the participation and/or partnership with women, men, their families and communities, professionals and practitioners from diverse fields, members of civil society, the private sector, UN agencies, bilaterals, all sectors of government and donors.
The White Ribbon Alliance values, aspires and works to recognize each member's voluntary contribution to the goals of safe motherhood and connects local action with the larger vision.
The White Ribbon Alliance respects, protects and encourages individual, gender, cultural and social diversity.
The White Ribbon Alliance is open for membership irrespective of caste, color and creed by any individual or group agreeing to its mission, vision and principles and the unifying symbol of the white ribbon.
The White Ribbon Alliance advocates for safe motherhood as a basic human right.
1. The WRA works to create a world... where it is a woman's* basic human right to achieve optimal health throughout pregnancy and childbirth for themselves and their newborns.
2. ... where women are empowered to demand respectful, quality safe motherhood services and help other women to do the same.
3. ... where women and newborns have access to essential and life saving safe motherhood services and information.
4. ... where women and men are active members in the safe motherhood movement, are knowledgeable, and make decisions together that promote safe motherhood within their own families and their communities.
5. ... where communities work together to address the effects of poverty, HIV/AIDS, armed conflict, violence against women and children, and gender inequities on safe motherhood.
6. ... where governments set policies in collaboration with women, their communities, and other stakeholders and implement programs in support of safe motherhood.