Our mision is to eradicate cervical cancer in Latin America and the Caribbean, and to improve women’s public health in the region through research, policy guidance, training and direct patient care.
Basic Health International's major programs include cervical cancer screening and treatment in Central America, medical training programs for in-country healthcare providers, patient care and follow-up treatment for all women with disease, policy advisement for cervical cancer screening and treatment programs, including collaboration at the local, state and national level. We conduct region specific research, publish our findings in medical journals, and sponsor an annual international cervical cancer symposium.
1. Cervical Cancer is the #1 cancer killer of women in the developing world. Over 460,000 new cases and 250,000 deaths are reported each year.
2. We collaborate at a national and community level as technical advisors to help develop sustainable health care practices and policies.
3. We train local healthcare providers how to conduct a see-and-treat screening approach for cervical cancer that can be used in rural settings.
4. Since 2007, we have screened over 4000 women for cervical cancer, 305 of which had abnormal results, and treated seven women for invasive cancer.
5. Check out our website at www.basichealth.org