To help people realize pit bulls (& Rottweilers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Doberman Pinschers, Boxers, German Shepherds, Great Danes, Siberian Huskies, ect.) are our friends & make great pets!!
Here is some information about Pit Bulls..but this can be considered for many of the other breeds also.
Contrary to the media's portrayal of them, American Pit bull Terriers are not an inherently aggressive breed. According to the American Canine Temperament Testing Association, American Pit Bull Terriers, when temperament tested, had a 95% passing rate, compared to a 77% passing rate for all breeds on average. Pit Bulls are loyal, loving companions that make wonderful family dogs.
* Robust, quick and brimming with vigor, today's Pit Bull is an intelligent roughneck who wants to please and is ever hopeful of being a lap dog. Supremely confident, he views the world as a giant playhouse created especially for his amusement and is something of a perennial puppy.
* Good-natured with children, the Pit Bull has the sturdiness not to mind if his tail or toe is accidentally stepped on, and possesses the capacity to play for hours.
* The Pit Bull, also called the American Pit Bull Terrier, is considered the strongest dog in the world for its size.
* A Pit Bull was the most decorated hero dog during World War I.
* The Pit Bull is described as being reliable, hard-working, people-loving, and multi-talented.
* Pit Bulls have expressive faces and some can actually smile! When greeting their owners and special friends, the dogs may give a large toothy grin, raising their upper lip until their muzzle wrinkles and their eyes narrow.
* Strong and sensitive; rowdy, yet gentle; outgoing, but devoted; easily fired up, but highly trainable; mischievous, yet sensible; energetic and serene; peaceful, but ever alert-these apparent contradictions could all describe the Pit Bull. A zest for life, combined with occasional attempts to outwit his owner, endears the breed to many, but could be considered an inconvenience by others. Some people would enjoy a little less dog.
Reference: The Essential Pit Bull, By Howell Book House
1. AgainsAgainst animal fighting and other forms of animal cruelty.
2. Against inhumane sport hunting practices.
3. Against factory farming
4. Against the fur trade.