Onward, United and Stronger. Until Return!
Ninth Annual International Al-Awda Convention
Don't Delay! Reserve Today!
A Significant Event at a Critical Time in Arab History
At a time when the people of the Arab world have taken to the streets to initiate major and momentous political changes after decades of brutal control by dictatorial regimes, we the Palestinians are faced with similar challenges standing up to one of the most brutal occupations in modern history. The recent revelations of betrayal and attempt to liquidate the right to return by elements of an unelected and unrepresentative puppet leadership, requires once again for our people to take control of our own destiny. We need to develop strategy and tactics to join our Egyptian, Tunisian and other Arab comrades as our struggle to return is raised to a higher level. We must also begin to think beyond return. As the call for freedom in the Arab world has evolved, the Zionist occupier has intensified its bombing of the Gaza Strip, land confiscations and home demolitions in the West Bank and elsewhere in Palestine. The repression by the Zionist puppets becomes more desperate, trying to hang on to our lands and lives. The purpose of our annual convention is to summarize and evaluate our work since the previous convention.
Al-Awda's Ninth Annual International Convention comes in the midst of these challenges. We call on all Palestinians regardless of organizational affiliation to join Al-Awda's members and supporters at this year's convention. We will address and collectively take steps toward changing our destiny as a people while we reaffirm our determination to return to our homes and lands. We can no longer stay silent while an un-elected, illegitimate leadership beholden to its U.S. and occupation masters is cravenly giving up on our rights.
To address these critical issues that our cause is facing, strategy, tactics, planning and brainstorming discussions will include:
The Palestine Papers and the Arab people's uprising; Impact on the Palestinian struggle and future organizing. Round-table and panel discussion with key speakers.
Workshops discussions will also include:
* Boycotts & Divestment
* Refugee Support
* Cultural Resistance Through Various Forms of Art
* Palestinian Children's Rights Campaign
Several young activists from the refugee camps will be taking part this year in hands-on workshops
Among the speakers at this year's convention are:
* Dr. Salman Abu Sitta, General coordinator Palestinian Right of Return Congress, Founding President of the Palestine Land Society
* Abbas Al-Nouri, Syrian Arab actor of "Bab el-h7ara" fame, political activist
* Lubna Masarwa, Palestinian activist survivor of Mavi Marmara massacre
* Diana Buttu, Palestinian lawyer, former legal advisor to Palestinian negotiating team
* Laila Al-Arian, Palestinian author, writer and producer with Al-Jazeera English, one of the producers of the Palestine Papers
* Dr. Jamal Nassar, Specialist in Middle East politics and Dean of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at CSUSB
* Rim Banna, Palestinian singer & activist
* Najat El-Khairy, Palestinian embroidery artist
* Remi Kanazi, Palestinian spoken word artist & activist
* Youth from Refugee Camps
Plus . . .
Cultural presentations, books and solidarity items, network with friends and fellow activists & lunch presentations & evening banquet with live music!
(Baby-sitting available for entire convention)