Dear Friends and Supporters,
Al-Awda, The Palestine Right to Return Coalition needs your support! We call on you to help implement the right of Palestinians to return to their homes and land of origin.
The revelations of betrayal in the Palestine Papers as reported by Al-Jazeera and the Guardian earlier this year make the work of Al-Awda even more necessary now. There is a significantly heightened urgency to struggle and demand our right to return to our homes and lands in historic Palestine.
The sacrifices of our sisters and brothers in the homeland are now greater than ever:
1. Israel carried out a 22-day massacre in 2008-2009 that claimed the lives of nearly 1500 Palestinians, permanently injured more than 5300, and destroyed homes, health care facilities, schools, and farms. Palestinians in the Gaza strip continue to live under a suffocating siege that denies their basic rights as human beings and the fundamental right to return to their original homes.
2. The attacks on our people in the West Bank have continued unabated. In al-Khalil (Hebron) the state-armed colonial settler movement has escalated its attacks against the unarmed Palestinian population. Jerusalem is becoming further fractured by plans to build even more ‘Jewish only’ enclaves and Palestinian residents of Silwan have been a target for expulsion.
3. The Zionist state also continues its colonial project to ethnically cleanse Akka and Yaffa of its Palestinian residents. Additionally, Palestinian villages in the Naqab region are being systematically destroyed.
4. The situation of Palestinians in the refugee camps in Lebanon has continued to deteriorate and funding for the work of The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) has been cut back. Nahr El-Bared refugee camp, home to more than 30,000 Palestinians in Lebanon, has yet to be fully rebuilt.
5. Nineteen thousand Palestinians left Iraq as a direct consequence of harassment, intimidation, torture, and murder soon after the US occupation began in 2003. Several hundred families are now here in the US struggling to make ends meet in a very bad economy.
Work Al-Awda Accomplished
Maintained a program to provide humanitarian aid to Palestinian refugees.
Launched a Palestine Children's Rights Campaign to advocate for the human rights of Palestinian children who are subjected to systematic Israeli terrorism, detention, torture and violence.
Maintained a Palestine National Center with the goal of institutionalizing our work and to professionalize, promote and facilitate activism related to Al-Awda's mission and goals.
Established an Educational Resource Center which continues to grow extending its collection of over three hundred books, a documentary film archive and journals.
Increased local organizing for the return with the establishment of new and the growth of existing chapters and action committees.
Actively participated in Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) campaigns, and will continue to do so until Palestinian rights are restored in full.
The Challenges Ahead ...
We are committed to our founding principles but the challenges to those of us living in forced exile from our homeland, and to those who support us, are greater than they have ever been. Our task continues to be to organize and educate on the rights of all Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and lands of origin, and to full restitution of all their confiscated and destroyed property in accordance with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, International law and United Nations Resolutions upholding such rights. We are all called upon to make greater efforts than ever before. We depend on your support to continue our work!
Here's How You Can Help Us Continue and Spread the Reach of Al-Awda's Work:
1. Join Al-Awda's monthly or annual sustainer program:
To become a Monthly Sustainer, go to: