Raise awareness surrounding the worldwide drowning epedimic and ensure that not one more child drowns
The idea behind Infant Swimming Resource (ISR) was born in 1966 when its founder, Dr. Harvey Barnett, was just 18 years old. As an active lifeguard with a passion for water safety, Barnett witnessed the tragic aftermath when a neighbor child drowned. At that moment, he vowed to do everything possible to ensure
not one more child drowns.
With a PhD and 41 years experience, Barnett developed the first and only drowning prevention strategy that has earned a 100% safety record. ISR is a truly comprehensive infant swimming education and Self-Rescue skill instruction method that is well established in the fields of health care, psychology/behavioral sciences, anatomy and physiology.
Since 1966, ISR has safely delivered over 7 million lessons to teach water self-rescue skills to more than 200,000 babies and has educated parents and medical experts nationwide on water safety techniques and proven instruction methods. To date, ISR has 789 documented cases of children using ISR techniques to save themselves from drowning.
1. What can parents do: www.infantswim.com
2. How can you help: http://budurl.com/ISRdonate
3. Drowning is the leading cause of death for infants and young children in 22 states.
4. Children (1-4) are most likely to drown in a hot tub, swimming pool or spa.
5. Of all preschoolers who drown, 70% are in the care of one or both parents and 75% missing from sight for 5 minutes or less.