This cause is hosted by the United States Breastfeeding Committee to support our work to protect, promote, and support breastfeeding. Become a Friend today at www.usbreastfeeding.org/Friends.html.
The United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC) is an independent nonprofit coalition of more than 40 nationally influential professional, educational, and governmental organizations. Representing over one million concerned professionals and the families they serve, USBC and its member organizations share a common mission to improve the Nation's health by working collaboratively to protect, promote, and support breastfeeding. For more information on USBC, visit www.usbreastfeeding.org.
1. USBC recommends that infants be exclusively breastfed for six months.
2. USBC recommends that infants continue to breastfeed for the first year of life and as long afterwards as mutually desired by mother and child.
3. Breastfeeding reduces the child's risk of ear, skin, and respiratory infections, diarrhea, sudden infant death syndrome, & necrotizing enterocolitis.
4. In the longer term, breastfeeding also reduces the child's risk of obesity, type 1 and 2 diabetes, asthma, and childhood leukemia.
5. For the mother, breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, and diabetes.