Helping to put an end to the cruel Canadian Seal Hunt
The Canadian seal hunt is the largest slaughter of marine mammals on earth. Last year the quota to kill 335 000 baby seals was reached, and in last four years more than one million have been carelessly slaughtered. While these seals are not whitecoats, they are all under 3 months of age. The above numbers do not reflect how many seals slipped under the ice, or deaths that went unreported.
This slaughter is a government sponsored killing spree in order to win the votes of out of work fishermen. Since 2003 nearly 1.3 million seals have been butchered. Seals are normally clubbed to death. If still alive, once a seal is clubbed it is skinned alive. The government has spent over 20 million dollars in attempts to find markets for seal body parts. Organizations that photograph, or film the hunt without government permission risk imprisonment in what is a huge propaganda and censorship campaign.
What YOU Can Do:
1. Sign petitions urging the Canadian government to reconsider its stance on this senseless slaughter and invite your friends to join this non-profit cause. Here are the links to three great petitions:
2. Boycott all Canadian seafood. This is to apply economic pressure to Canada. Paul Watson of the Sea Shepherd society is calling for a boycott of Costco. Costco sells seal oil capsules. Costco has refused to remove these from their shelves. We fully endorse this decision. Boycott Costco.
3. If you have a blog or a webpage please update your website with the paragraph below. If enough people do this when someone does a search for one of the companies that are listed they will find our pages in the search engines. The paragraph has links to various pages with information on each company. The more people we have posting this the better.
4. Learn about how companies like Costco sell seal oil capsules. Also learn about these companies who manufacture products from dead baby seals: Prada, Pajar, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, Birger Christensen, Versace, and Vogue Furriers. Also learn about why you should boycott these sea food restaurants Red Lobster, & Long John's Silvers.
5. Invite as many friends as you can to join this cause! the more members we have the stronger our voice will be!
6. Donate money, all money will go to HSUS (Humane Society of the United States) to make the world a better place for animals and humans together alike.
7. Try to learn more about the hunt and inform your friends and family, even strangers about this cruel slaughter that they may not know is happening in Canada. A few links that may provide you with more information:
1. Canada's seal hunt must end immediately!
2. It is cruel, highly unethical, and inhumane!
3. Baby seals are being slaughtered, many under a month old!
4. Sealing is not economically important, and seals do not disturb fish populations!