An educational organization that's actually cool.
The Raven Foundation is an educational organization. But don't let that fool you. The Raven is awesome. With your help, we hope to transform the world.
First, we need you.
Our main goal is to promote a global spiritual transformation through Mimetic Theory.
Mimetic theory states we non-consciously imitate the desires and behaviors of people we admire. This shared desire can lead us into conflict and rivalry with others.
Transformation can happen by consciously choosing to imitate models of love and compassion.
Mimetic theory was articulated by Professor Rene Girard, this anthropological theory has three main aspects. We at the Raven Foundation add a fourth:
1. Human desire is mimetic, or imitative. We desire according to the desires of others.
2. Mimetic (imitative) desire over objects, power, prestige, popularity, etc, leads to conflicts among individuals and groups. Conflicts escalate through a mimetic process until those conflicts threaten to destroy the community.
3. Humans unconsciously deal with our conflicts by finding a scapegoat. Our conflicts are redirected toward the scapegoat and we find unity at the expense of a common enemy, our scapegoat. Temporary peace is restored until conflicts once again arise and the cycle starts over.
4. The Raven Foundation offers an alternative to the false and temporary peace of mimetic (imitative) violence that leads to scapegoating. Authentic and lasting peace can be achieved through mimetic love that seeks to include all people, including those we call our enemies.
The following are playlists that explore the theory. We'd love to know your thoughts!
1. Mimetic Theory 101: http://www.youtube.com/watc...
2. Brothers Karamazov: http://www.youtube.com/watc...
3. Bible Matters: http://www.youtube.com/watc...
1. Making religion reasonable, violence unthinkable, and peace a possibility.
2. The courage to end scapegoating.