My aim with

this campaign is to influence tourists to avoid paying for the entertainment animals provide in counties such as Thailand, Bali and Sumatra. This is an on-going problem that has constantly been raised with the relevant authorities over the years, yet still nothing has been done. Without the tourist’s money this entertainment would not continue!   

The following are 3 classical cases of animal cruelty and abuse throughout countries in Asia. This cruelty happens all over the world but there are a specific few countries that are consistent offenders. Thailand’s Tiger Temple is a world famous attraction that is visited by 100’s of people every day. In the last 6 years, conservation group, Care for the Wild International (CWI) has put in several reports raising the issue of the cruel conditions the tigers live in and endure. The temple heads have always claimed that the tigers had been rescued from poachers and that they are now being housed in the best possible way. The truth behind the Temples walls reveals malnourished, scrawny and traumatised tigers. The majestic creatures are locked away in cramped cages until someone pays to get their photo taken with them. Not only did the private investigators find that the tigers were living in these poor conditions but they also uncovered that the Tiger Temple had been regularly dealing with a tiger farm in Laos. They have been trading the older tigers for younger ones; to cover up their dealings, the young cubs were also given the identical name. Thailand is a known offender for animal cruelty crimes.

Sumatra is highly known for its Elephant Safaris which they run daily for tourists. These elephant parks are packed with inexperienced employees who abuse the elephants and claim that it’s a form of training. These passive giants are chained to cement blocks until they are brutally beaten into moving through the daily routine. Elephants at the camp are to go through a very strict routine, as tourists are instructed to sit on the teak wooden chair and pat the elephant's head while they trudge through water, walk in circles and sit on tiny logs while smiling for pictures. If they fail to complete this task, they are beaten with a bullhook, or what the employees call "elephant remote control", in plain view. These animals have large holes in their heads, and deep cuts on their bodies. According to the trainers at the park “We breaking them in before use them for ride.”

The Masked Monkeys in Indonesia are forced to wear bizarre costumes and give street performances as their owners collect money from spectators. The emaciated long-tailed Macaque monkeys are made to wear doll masks, wigs, and clothes and perform human tasks such as riding bikes, rocking horses and scooters. Many are brutally trained to walk upright by being hung upside down, or having their hands tied behind their backs. In the first two weeks of being train to perform cruel circus activities, countless monkeys suffer incredibly and die. The primates are forced to live inside cramped wooden crates and can’t interact with each other, leading them to become deeply ­disturbed and depressed. 60 percent of monkeys that go through the cruel hanging training survive and the other 40 percent die during this cruel process. It is important that tourists stop giving money to the monkeys or their handlers because doing so only encourages the practice. 

Without tourists money this entertainment wouldn’t be able to continue. If people sign the petition and stick to the pledge this would be put to a stop to this cruel practice. My goal with this campaign is to influence tourists to avoid paying for the entertainment animals provide.

1 comment

to comment