To preserve and safeguard the cultural heritage of Egypt
Egypt is home to some of world's the oldest civilizations whose millennia of recorded history has had a profound influence on the cultures of Europe, the Middle East and Africa. For centuries, Egyptian archaeological sites have been looted to feed the black market trade of antiquities. Despite valiant calls for recovery, invaluable information about Egypt’s ancient past -- and our shared history -- has been irretrievably lost.
Recent reports about further damage to Egypt’s cultural heritage during the January 2011 unrest only underscore its vulnerability. While our concern must first focus on restoring security and stability for the people, we must protect Egypt's cultural heritage because information lost to looting can never be replaced.
This is an initiative of SAFE/Saving Antiquities for Everyone (SAFE), a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving cultural heritage worldwide. http://www.savingantiquities.org
Also: Say YES to Greece http://www.causes.com/causes/526740
Say YES to Cambodia http://www.causes.com/causes/558345
SAFE on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2442559641
1. An antiquity loses its informative value when torn from its original context without proper scientific excavation
2. Looting, smuggling, and trading illicit antiquities destroys information about our shared cultural heritage
3. We promote respect for the laws and treaties that protect cultural heritage and property.
4. We encourage legal and ethical behavior among collectors, dealers, and museums to stop the trade in illicit antiquities.
5. We envision a world in which looting and destruction of ancient sites and the marketing and collecting of undocumented artifacts is unthinkable