Spirit Builders' mission is to raise spirits by building affordable housing.
7 year-old Jessica is homeless and lives in a family homeless shelter in Lowell, MA. Prior to moving to the shelter, she and her family spent nights on friends' couches, motels, and even in cars. Jessica has seen violence first-hand. Jessica wants a home she can be safe at and stay in forever.
Spirit Builders, Inc., a local non-profit formed by Christ Church United, UCC, in Lowell (http://WeWelcomeAll.org) wants to help. Spirit Builders seeks to build 2 two-bedroom apartments, in a portion of Christ Church United’s under-utilized church building, for families similar to Jessica’s to live in permanently.
Christ Church United, UCC wanted to expand its mission while finding new uses for its large administration building that had been under-utilized for years. The building was also a money-sink for energy costs. After much prayer, reflection, and discussion, the congregation and leaders decided to create three apartments to permanently house homeless families within the building. Christ Church United established Spirit Builders, Inc. as a non-profit agency to develop this housing project now named, "All Souls House".
1. Lead developer & property manager will be Cascap, a non-profit Cambridge agency with considerable experience developing & managing affordable housing.
2. Energy-efficient elements will be incorporated, w/possibly a geo-thermal system. Building will be handicapped-accessible w/bathrooms and elevator.
3. Once operational, All Souls House will be self-sustaining due to having been awarded Section 8 Project-Based Assistance rent subsidies for the tenants
4. The majority of tenant referrals will come from the 3 family homeless shelters in Lowell. Support services will be provided by Community Teamwork, Inc
5. The caring presence of a Resident Manager will be a significant aid to the tenants and will offer substantial re-assurance to the congregation.