A few pertinent facts:
1) The Great Smoky Mountain National Park is visited by over 9 million people annually.
2) The park can be driven to in 10 hours or less by 65% of the population of the United States.
3) There are hundreds of miles of trails, numerous waterfalls and sites of historic interest.
4) Environmentally speaking, it is possible to travel over 1500 miles, from the Canadian boreal forests at the mountain tops to temperate rainforests in the valleys.
5) Scientists are discovering more unknown species in the Smokies on an ongoing basis.