HELP US OBTAIN THE CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL FOR THE 65TH INFANTRY BORINQUENEERS! As mandated by Congress in 1899, the 65th Infantry Regiment was the only Hispanic-segregated active-duty unit in U.S. military history that played a prominent role in our American military history participating in three U.S. wars. Of all the honors Congress can bestow, the awarding of a Congressional Gold Medal (CGM) is the most distinguished and parallels the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
This recognition will be the HIGHEST award EVER for the 65th Infantry Regiment and for all of our Hispanic Veterans!!! This endeavor will be of historic proportion and, if approved, will be signed by the President of the United States.
The congressional honor affirms that they are American heroes who served their country with distinction, fighting bravely even while enduring the hardships of segregation and discrimination. The CGM has been bestowed to other distinguished American veterans who served in segregated units, including:
• the Navajo Code Talkers (July 26, 2001)
• the African-American Tuskegee Airmen (March 29, 2007)
• the Japanese-American Nisei (May 26, 2012)
• the African-American Montford Point Marines (June 28, 2012).
We want to include the 65th Borinqueneers to this list! But we need your help.
How can you help?
Please contact your local Congressional Representatives and urge them to Co-Sponsor Bill H.R. 1726, which awards the 65th Infantry with a CGM.
The most effective method is to call your Congress member's and your 2 x Senators' D.C. office.
Call your congressional D.C. office and ask for the Military Legislative Assistant (MLA).
Urge the MLAs to have your representative/Senators co-sponsor Bill H.R. 1726 (House) and S. 1174 (Senate).
You can also write a letter to your local congressional office
Click here to download a sample letter in Word format:
To identify who your local U.S. Senator and Congressperson is, visit http://whoismyrepresentative.com/
• Find our surviving 65th Infantry veterans. In order to strongly substantiate our claim for the CGM, we need to present a list of our LIVING 65th Inf. Reg. veterans to Congress and the Senate.
If you are a LIVING 65th veteran (or know one), please send the following information of the LIVING Borinqueneer 65th Infantry Veteran to 65thCGM@gmail.com
1) name 2) address 3) phone number 4) date of birth
5) unit(s) served under 65th Inf. Regiment
6) dates of service
This information will later need to be corroborated with official documentation.
• Spread the word! Let everyone you know about this campaign. Tell your family, your neighbors, your co-workers! Call, write, email, use your social media contacts! Click below to download and print out our flyer, and distribute it at your local VA hospital, community organization, universities and so forth:
Download English/Spanish Flyer - www.65thCGM.org/resources
(Both flyers are in PDF format). NOTE: You need Acrobat Reader software in order to open the PDF files. Click here to get your free Acrobat Reader software: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
• SIGN THIS PETITION TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT! LET'S WORK TOGETHER TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
For more information, contact:
Borinqueneers CGM Alliance
12671 Lakebrook Drive., Orlando, FL 32828