1 out of 3 people will face a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime. No single organization does more to finish the fight against cancer. Your tax-deductible donation to the American Cancer Society will help save the birthdays that might otherwise be lost to the disease. Last year we spent $713 million to fight cancer, save lives and serve as the round-the-clock resource for people facing the disease. Sixty years ago, 1 out of 3 people diagnosed with cancer survived for at least five years. Today, thanks in part to the work of the American Cancer Society, 2 out of 3 are surviving. Let’s make it 3 out of 3.
STAY WELL (OUR GOAL: 0 NEW CANCER CASES)
- Our Cancer Prevention Study-3 has recruited an astounding 300,000 participants to help us better understand what causes cancer so we can prevent it.
- We publish Nutrition and Physical Activity Guidelines doctors use to illustrate how body weight, nutrition and activity affect cancer risk.
- Our CHANGE grants have reached more than 300,000 people in under-served communities and provided 123,000 screenings to combat health disparities.
GET WELL (READY TO SUPPORT 1.6 MILLION NEWLY DIAGNOSED CANCER PATIENTS EVERY YEAR)
- We provide free lodging at our Hope Lodge® facilities nationwide for patients and their caregivers who must travel to treatment.
- Our Cancer Information Specialists provide free information and support to nearly 1 million callers a year.
- Last year, 32,000,000 unique visitors came to cancer.org for credible, compelling cancer and health-related information.
FIND CURES (MORE THAN $3.9 BILLION INVESTED IN RESEARCH SINCE 1946)
- We fund pioneering researchers, 47 of whom have gone on to win the Nobel Prize, the highest accolade a scientist can receive.
- We helped make possible almost every major cancer research breakthrough since 1946.
- Our widely-quoted Cancer Facts & Figures publications present the most current trends in cancer occurrence, survival, prevention, early detection, and treatment.
FIGHT BACK ($25 MILLION IN ADVOCACY SUPPORT LAST YEAR)
- Thanks in part to our advocacy efforts, 24 states, Washington, DC and Puerto Rico, have laws requiring 100% smoke-free workplaces, restaurants, and bars.
- We have successfully lobbied for significant increases to the federal budget for cancer research.
- Relay For Life, the world’s largest movement to end cancer, reaches and engages more than 3.5 million people in 5,200 communities in the United States.