Our mission is to pressure Congress to support America's public, school and academic libraries.
Since 1945 the Washington Office of the American Library Association has worked for libraries and librarians to ensure the best library services for the American people. In this economic climate, libraries have faced reduced budgets and services, a disservice to every community.
- The perfect storm: while more and more people rely on their library, funding for libraries is decreasing.
- Any jobs bill from Capitol Hill must include specific library jobs.
- Any education legislation must require that all schools have a library with a librarian.
- To best serve the public, all libraries need high-speed broadband internet access.
- America needs laws that permanently secure open access to information, including federally funded information.