During September, National Suicide Prevention Month, we encourage you to train a Trevor Lifeguard, take action in your community and pledge to the let the people in your life know you’re always available to listen.
Why do we need TALK TO ME?
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among young people ages 10 to 24.
- LGB youth are 4 times more likely, and questioning youth are 3 times more likely, to attempt suicide as their straight peers.
- Nearly half of young transgender people have seriously thought about taking their lives, and one quarter report having made a suicide attempt.
- LGB youth who come from highly rejecting families are 8.4 times as likely to have attempted suicide as LGB peers who reported no or low levels of family rejection.
- Suicide attempts are nearly 2 times higher among Black and Hispanic youth than White youth.
- Each episode of LGBT victimization, such as physical or verbal harassment or abuse, increases the likelihood of self-harming behavior by 2.5 times on average.