S. 2692 — the Campus Accountability and Safety Act — penalizes federally funded universities that don't investigate sexual violence on their campuses. By amending several key laws this bill would:
- Fine universities 1% of their total operating budget when that campus fails to investigate and report complaints of sexual assault to the Department of Education (DE). This is in addition to a $150,000 fine for each offense.
- Establish a process for disciplining offenders in public schools.
- Survey students every year on their experience with sexual assault and make the results available to the public.
- Create a DE database where campuses with ongoing sexual assault investigations can be listed to increase awareness of schools with high rates of assault.
- Train staff how to handle sexual assault and engage with survivors.
- Forbid athletic departments and smaller divisions on campus to handle sexual assault complaints.
- Encourage coordination with local law enforcement for investigating crimes.