COMPANION BILL to H.R. 608:
Dr. Rand Paul Introduces the Stop Arming Terrorists Act
WASHINGTON, D.C. – This week, U.S. Senator Rand Paul introduced the Stop Arming Terrorists Act (S. 532) to prevent American taxpayers’ money from being used to directly or indirectly support armed militants who are allied with or often working under the command of al-Qaeda, ISIS, or other terrorist groups. The legislation serves as a companion bill to H.R. 608, which Representative Tulsi Gabbard (HI-2) reintroduced in January.
“One of the unintended consequences of nation-building and open-ended intervention is American funds and weapons benefiting those who hate us,” said Dr. Paul. “This legislation will strengthen our foreign policy, enhance our national security, and safeguard our resources.”
“For years, the U.S. government has been supporting armed militant groups working directly with and often under the command of terrorist groups like ISIS and al-Qaeda in their fight to overthrow the Syrian government. Rather than spending trillions of dollars on regime change wars in the Middle East, we should be focused on defeating terrorist groups like ISIS and al-Qaeda, and using our resources to invest in rebuilding our communities here at home,” said Rep. Gabbard. “The fact that American taxpayer dollars are being used to strengthen the very terrorist groups we should be focused on defeating should alarm every Member of Congress and every American. We call on our colleagues and the Administration to join us in passing this legislation.”
You can read S. 532, the Stop Arming Terrorists Act, here, and you can find more information below:
S. 532, the Stop Arming Terrorists Act:
• Makes it illegal for any U.S. federal government funds to be used to provide assistance covered in the bill, including weapons, munitions, weapons platforms, intelligence, logistics, training, and cash, to terrorists.
• Prohibits the U.S. government from providing such assistance covered in the bill to any nation that has given or continues to give such support to terrorists.
• Instructs the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) to determine the individuals and groups that should be considered terrorists, for the purposes of this bill, by determining: (a) the individuals and groups that are associated with, affiliated with, adherents to, or cooperating with al-Qaeda, Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, or ISIS; (b) the countries that are providing assistance covered in this bill to those individuals or groups.
• Anticipates changing conditions by requiring the DNI to work with the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Armed Services Committee, and Select Committee on Intelligence to review and update the list of prohibited countries and groups every six months.
• Provides for accountability and transparency by requiring the DNI to brief Congress on its determinations.
Absolutely. I think the average American knows far too little about how much of our foreign policy consists of fighting against groups that we at one time supported against other groups. The lesson of 9/11 should have been never to find another rebel group like that again. Al Qaeda exists because we armed Osama bin Laden to fight against the Russians. ISIS exists because we armed the rebels against Assad (who of course is backed, tellingly, by the Russians). We need to scale our foreign intervention WAY back. And besides arming actual rebel groups that become terrorist groups, we MUST stop arming and funding state sponsors of terrorism. Now when you read that you probably think I'm talking about Iran, but I had in mind Saudi Arabia, to whom we sold $1.5 billion in arms last year so that they could now be terrorizing Yemen in a proxy war against Iran. Basically, shame on our government for using my tax dollars either to fund these types of things directly, or else to fund the creation of weapons that then are given or sold to these groups and countries.
Stop arming terrorists! USA needs to stay out of other countries/regimes business. We are turning into bullies and I am tired of it. Because of what the Obama Administration did to arm terrorists under then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, ISIS was formed!!!!!!!!!!
This bill is so important! We need to stop spending our taxpayers money to fund rebel groups in the Middle East. That money or weapons ends up in the hands of the terrorist groups we are supposedly fighting against. The bill has bi partisan support as it was introduced in the House by the future first woman president Tulsi Gabbard (D) and introduced in the Senate by Rand Paul (R). Please contact your Congressmen and Women and get them to support this bill.
Tulsi Gabbard traveled to the Middle East not much news coverage was given. The out cry from her own political party speaks volumes. Then to team up with Rand Paul on this bill, one can read between the lines to what some Americans already know to what she found. We saw McCain coming unglued on R. Paul accusing him to be a Russian spy. No, McCain it's that you have been one of those supplying our enemies for profit all the way back to the the Benghazi event. Longer, and this bill is going to put a stop to this lucrative business that some republicans and some democrats have invested in.
We have no one to blame for the mess in the Middle East aside from ourselves. From removing the Shah of Iran to Regan arming Osama Bin Laden in the 80s, to creating a power vacuum for ISIS to take hold when we took out Saddam we need to stop this nonsense.
Our good intentions in the Middle East never work out. Bin Laden was trained by us! We've meddled in those affairs since the early days of the Cold War and where has it gotten us? Help put an end to it. Stop wasting taxpayer dollars on futile pursuits that only turn around on us.